Technology and Intellectual Property
Truman Hoyle’s technology and intellectual property lawyers have acted for government bodies, software and hardware providers, research and development institutions, biotechnology companies, media and advertising companies and other technology related businesses.
Truman Hoyle’s technology law practice is the only practice in an Australian technology specialist firm to be consistently recognised by international law firm ranking publication, PLC Global Which Lawyer from 2009 to 2013. The technology practice is also recognised as a leader in the Australian market in each of Chambers Global, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and AsiaLaw Profiles.
Truman Hoyle was named as a Finalist in the IP Specialist Law Firm of the Year category at the Australasian Law Awards from 2009 to 2011.
Our team has extensive expertise in:
- Cloud computing
- IT business structuring, due diligence and documentation
- IT subcontracting, consultancy and customer agreements
- Disaster recovery and business continuity arrangements
- Technology implementation and systems integration agreements
- Information security and privacy advice
- Software development, licensing, support, hardware supply and maintenance agreements, escrow agreements
- Trade practices and competition law
- IT outsourcing arrangements
Our lawyers are co-authors of the highly regarded “IT Contractors Handbook” and the 2011 Cloud Computing White Paper, and are frequent speakers at industry fora.
Our technology expertise is complemented by the firm’s leading expertise in communications and media law and regulation.
Intellectual Property Law
The firm’s intellectual property law practice includes:
- Identification and commercialisation of intellectual property rights
- Trademarks, designs and, in consultation with patent attorneys, patents
- Confidential information and trade secrets
- Passing off, misleading and deceptive conduct, breach of contract, and breach of registered intellectual property rights
- Litigation and alternate dispute resolution in relation to breaches of rights, with a particular focus on breach of patent cases.
Our lawyers are currently acting on some of the largest technology and intellectual property transactions being undertaken in the Asia Pacific region in their roles as key legal advisers to a number of the world’s largest IT consultancy businesses.