Competition and Consumer Law
The Truman Hoyle Competition Group is internationally recognised as a leader in the field of competition (antitrust) and consumer protection laws. The team is consistently recognised as a leader in the Australian market in global publications such as Chambers Global, AsiaLaw Profiles and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
Described by clients in various leading legal services directories as providing “commercial and cost effective solutions”, “small firm agility, client focus and partner access and the same quality of advice as the big firms” and as a “tough team to match an ever tougher ACCC”, the team provides advice on the full range of competition and consumer protection laws affecting organisations doing business in Australia.
The Group’s expertise is based on an in-depth knowledge of the legislation, an understanding of the issues facing business, and the most effective strategies for negotiating with regulatory bodies such as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
Our team of experienced lawyers provided by the following services:
- Advice on all aspects of the anti-competitive conduct and consumer protection provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act and associated competition laws
- Strategic advice on dealing with the ACCC and other regulatory bodies
- Liaison with and representation before the ACCC, including obtaining authorisations and notifications
- Obtaining merger clearances from the ACCC
- Development and implementation of trade practices compliance programs
- Strategic advice on mergers and acquisitions, contracts, and commercial arrangements
- Advice on Industry Codes, including the Franchising Code of Conduct
- Advice on the specific telecommunications provisions of Parts XIB and XIC of the Competition and Consumer Act
- Dispute resolution and litigation, including complex Part IV Competition and Consumer Act disputes with the ACCC and competitors
Major clients of the Group include Microsoft, Frucor Beverages, American Express, Danone, Simplot Australia Pty Limited, Knorr-Bremse Australia Pty Limited, LG Electronics Australia Pty Limited, Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Limited, and Independent Purchasing Company (Australasia) Pty Limited (a company associated with the Subway group).